Sunday, April 1, 2012

“Gifts of the Called”


I wrote this devotional in February 2009. I hope you enjoy it.

“Gifts of the Called”
But Amos replied, “I’m not a professional prophet, and I was never trained to be one. I’m just a shepherd, and I take care of sycamore-fig trees.
-Amos 7:14 (NLT)

Throughout the Old Testament God called many unlikely people to be prophets. Even though God selected them, some wanted to refuse God's call. Amos, who received visions from God, was such a man. At first, he denied being a prophet, yet he had much to say, much given him by God to spread among nations. Amos was chosen, and he had a special gift.
Today there are many gifted Christian leaders. They may not be like prophets in the Old Testament, but they are meaningful, spiritually gifted, and draw visitors into churches.  They take on their tasks with excitement and seem to have a lot of energy.
I never thought that I would be called to serve God at a church, but I now realize that my abilities are used for the good. I always enjoyed writing, especially my thoughts and feelings. So God is using my strength to reach others through writing, so others can reach even more people. God works in mysterious ways, but in wonderful ways!

Prayer: O God, help us to recognize and accept our gifts and to be willing to use them to serve those around us.  In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen
Thought of the Month:  Everyone has a gift that God can use to help others
Prayer Focus: Leaders in my church

No comments:

Post a Comment