Wednesday, March 7, 2012

“Are you ok?”



How many times have I heard the words “Are you ok?”? I’m so sick hearing that question; I guess that is the way how they ask it that gets on my nerves. Plus, my aide asks me if I’m ok a lot, even if she is not talking to me. I suppose the best way to describe the way how the question is a way how you would talk to a baby. I mean if I move my body around in my wheelchair, my aide asks me if I’m ok. Come on people, can I do whatever I need in peace? I think the weirdest time to ask a person, “are you ok” is when he/she is choking; obliviously, he/she is not. However, I know that is the only thing to ask a choking person.



 


I can’t write about this topic without telling you about time in my life. I was going to college and my general mathematics instructor was an older short woman. She would kneel down by my wheelchair and asked if I was ok in an old woman’s voice; and loudly and slowly so I could understand like I was deaf. My husband and I were dating that time and he used to tease me all the time and asking me if I was ok the way that my teacher did. We used to get a kick out of it.



Last night, I watched “Switched at Birth” and I thought to myself that I wish I could tune people out as John told Daphne to tune it out when she was playing basketball. She turned her hearing aide off and I said wow that’s what I need when I get aggravated so I can tune annoying people and situations in my life out.

What does get on your nerves and how do you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment