Saturday, January 28, 2012

Money

I hate not having any income myself! In my opinion, I should be able to receive SSI. But, they said that my husband makes too much for me to get any money.
I am aggravated with this state’s policies/guidelines and laws regarding disabled people and I am not taking it anymore! I am a forty-one year old woman with Cerebral Palsy and confined to a wheelchair. I’m married to a wonderful man and I have my Associate Degree in micro computer science. I need care most of the time. I’m on Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults (CAP/DA). I have a nurse aide for 5 hours a day and then my husband takes care of me at night and on weekends. Last year, he went to get his Nurse Aide Certificate so he could get paid when he was taking care of me, it was not a lot, but it helped. We need all we can get because:
•    I can’t receive Supplemental Security Income because my husband earns too much.
•    Nobody will hire me because of my handicap and if I can find someone to hire me, I can’t work because of CAP/DA’s policy; if someone is on CAP/DA, they must be homebound.
Recently, Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults (CAP/DA) said that my husband couldn’t get paid to take care of me because one of their policies states that a family member can’t get paid as their loved one’s CNA if they have another job.

In my opinion, CAP/DA and this state need to change their policies/guidelines/laws. It is not right my husband went through the trouble to get his CNA and now he can’t get paid to be home with me. He can’t go out on “a guys’ night”, hunting, fishing or anything without me because I need someone to be with me to do everything physical for me. I can’t express it enough how I think CAP/DA’s policies are wrong. In my opinion, he should be getting something for taking care of me and for what he keeps on giving up to do that for me. Yes, we love each other very much, but we are a one income family and as many people know, it is very hard to live on one income. I would work if I was allowed to and someone would hire me or I wish I could receive SSI for my handicap; I think that Supplemental Security Income should be based on my income and assets, not on my husband’s.  I mean I’m still disabled, am I?
I’m on the destination to change the policies and laws regarding disabled people whatever it takes.
I wrote this blog because I’m worried about our money. Our mortgage is outraged. Tonight, we went out to dinner with my family and my brother’s wife has cancer; they don’t have any insurance and they have to pay for treatment so I wanted to pay for their dinner. Now, I’m feeling bad about our financials. I just wish I had my own income so we could have spending money. I’m tired of watching our money just because the government won’t help the disabled.  Anyone with me on this issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment